Additional prescribing authorization
As of February 28, 2023, ACP will temporarily pause acceptance of all applications for additional prescribing authorization (APA). The college is transitioning the application process to a new system, and the downtime will be necessary as we prepare a new process for applicants. More information on the date when the new system will open for applications will be provided in the new year.
APA digital submission
Click here to submit your APA application online.
Am I ready to apply for additional prescribing authorization?
Pharmacists in good standing on the clinical register may apply for additional prescribing authorization after meeting these criteria:
- Have at least one year of full-time experience in direct patient care while on the clinical pharmacist register. Beginning in 2018, entry level Pharm D graduates from CCAPP accredited Canadian schools of pharmacy will have the one-year practice requirement waived. However applicants must use patient cases from their time on the clinical register as a clinical pharmacist (i.e., not as students, interns, etc.).
- Have strong collaborative relationships with other regulated health professionals.
- Have and maintain the necessary knowledge, skills, attitudes, and clinical judgment to enhance patient care.
- Have the required supports in their practice (e.g., access to information, communication, documentation processes) to enable safe and effective management of drug therapy.
How are applications evaluated?
Applications are evaluated by pharmacists who are trained to use an objective criterion-referenced assessment tool. Applicants that meet or exceed the minimum standard on review will receive authorization from the registrar to prescribe Schedule 1 drugs in accordance with Sections 16 (3) and 16(4) of the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Profession Regulation.
Will I receive a new practice permit?
If successful, authorization in writing and an updated practice permit will be sent to you in writing. Pharmacists must receive a new practice permit reflecting additional prescribing authorization from the college prior to prescribing to manage or initiate drug therapy.
How do I renew my additional prescribing authorization?
Renewal of your additional prescribing authorization will be automatic with the renewal of your practice permit if you meet all other requirements of practice permit renewal.
I want to apply for additional prescribing authorization
To apply online, view the Guide to Receiving Additional Prescribing Authorization and see our digital submission tips sheet for important information.
Paper applications will no longer be accepted.
Once you have submitted your application and it has been reviewed, the college will supply you with the credit card authorization form via email. Your application cannot be processed until the form is completed and returned by email, and payment is verified.
Assessment fee: $402.00 + GST ($422.10)
Resources, guides, and forms
- 7 tips for additional prescribing authorization applicants
- Guide to Receiving Additional Prescribing Authorization (online submission)
- Digital submission tips sheet
- Additional prescribing authorization FAQs
- Self-assessment form
- Application form
- Case narrative
- Case checklist
- List of key activities and indicators